Thursday, April 14, 2011

When Daddy Was A Little Boy by Alexander Raskin

Alexander Raskin is a very famous Russian author -- these stories were about him when he was small. In the introduction it says that the author used to narrate these stories to his daughter when she was sick. These stories are very interesting, realistic and funny. This book has a collection of stories from when Alexander Raskin was a little boy to when he was a young pioneer. These stories contain everyday scenes of his childhood -- like when Alexander had been elected as his school newspaper Editor or how he started writing poetry, or how he was late for school, or even chopped a snake into eight pieces, etc, etc, etc. These stories are not fantasy stories or fairy stories -- these stories are about Alexander's day to day life like, when he was very late for school and got scoldings from his teachers. This book was given to my Aunt by my Mother and then this book was passed on to Me. This is a very rare book and you will find it very hard to get this book because my Mother bought this in an exhibition of Russian books in 1994 and I think there will be hardly any copies left of the book. This book is my very favorite book, this book has very interesting stories and very delightful ones too. Once you read this book you can form your own book by writing your or your parents stories.

(This book review is also available on the Guardian Children's Book Website at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/2011/may/13/review-daddy-little-boy)

12 comments:

  1. Hi Dhruv, great to read about When Daddy was a Little Boy. Wonder if you could scan and upload on your blog? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been desperately looking for this book. Someone took my copy and never returned. Can you scan and upload? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Abhishek's request - I've been looking for this book a really long time now, having read and loved it about 20 years back!

    If you happen to be in/around London, I'd be happy to work out how it can be digitised and made available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking for this for the past 35 years! I would love to have in digitized form to read. It was one of my childhood favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for this book for the past 20 years.. I had this when I was a kid but whe we shifted lost all the collection. If you can scan the book and upload or email it then it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...loved this book like nuts..and you are right, it doesn't have any edition remaining any longer..in fact I had to ask pa to get the copies refurbished and reprinted again...4 of it for all my nephew n niece :)

    Loved this book like crazies...and by the way, nice background :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey dhruv,
    i hav been looking for this book too. for god knows how many years. i had this book when i was six and then someone borrowed it and never returned. i so wish i can have another copy of it. my daughter is five and i would really like her to read it and enjoy it as much as i did.
    pls let me know if there is any way i can have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one copy extra lying in my collection. ( I had three at one time but now only one left). If you are interested really, only then mail me at manu77duggal@gmail.com or call at 9876685411.

      Delete
  8. I do have the Hindi Version " जब पापा बच्चे थे " but would have to look for it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please count me in too...I sincerely request a copy too....I miss those days of Moscow publishers..Raduga publishers and Progress Publishers..They really made my life so much richer..

    ReplyDelete
  10. When Daddy was a little boy by Alexaner Raskin is available for sale at http://rajanpunhani.tripod.com/rare_soviet_moscow_books.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have this novel in punjabi language.. and i love this novel.. it has many small stories.. before sleeping i read this.. the character of daddy is so much innocent n sometimes funny..

    ReplyDelete